03 June 2010

Been a little busy lately - but it really explains the name Ueber-G

Springtime is a very busy time for me and I've been very amiss in posting.  Here is why and it really explains my "nom de blog", given to me by my friend Counterlight.

I chair the LGBT Life Committee at my home parish, The Church of St. Luke in the Fields in New York City.  While we provide our parish with LGBT events, both educational and social, throughout the year, our main focus is LGBT Pride Month in June.  This job entails organizing a benefit concert by one of our extremely talented choir members, Mr. Todd Frizell, entitled The GayAttitudes - Blessed are the Fabulous; arranging for an Adult Education evening with a relevant speaker, the Rev. Tobias Haller BSG, author of "Reasonable and Holy - Engaging Same Sexuality"; helping to organize a Picnic for over 250 people with CenterKids from the NYC LGBT Center;  finding a preacher and bishop for our annual Festive Choral Evensong on Gay Pride Day; and overseeing the design and production of T-Shirts which help pay for it all.  I must say that I am blessed with a wonderful group of volunteers who have, over the years, made this job a joy. 



This year we are also blessed by a visit from the Rt. Rev. Christopher Senyonjo, retired Bishop of West Buganda, Uganda and chaplain of Integrity Uganda.

More information about St. Luke's Pride Month Events can be found here:

http://stlukeinthefields.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=308&Itemid=142

If this were not enough, as a member of the LGBT Concerns Committee of the Episcopal Diocese of New York, I am also organizing our over 200 parishes, along with Integriy NYC Metro and Oasis Newark, to cooperate and march together, with music and a float in the annual LGBT Pride March  (I am reminded of the old joke:  "I don't believe in 'organized religion', I'm an Episcopalian.)  I also have to make sure we raise the $6000.00 to make this happen.

More about the LGBT Concerns Committee of the Diocese of New York can be found here:

http://www.dioceseny.org/pages/346-lgbt-concerns

I have also recently joined the Steering Committee of Integrity NYC Metro and been named the official Diocesan Organizer for the Diocese of New York for Integrity,  a 35 year old LGBT advocacy group within the Episcopal Church.

This is all in addition to a regular 9-5 job to pay the bills.

I've finally taken a week off from the 9-5 in order to make sure that all is in order for Pride Week, including my mental health.  

No comments: